47 is 42, corrected for inflation.
The number 47 is interesting. It’s a prime number, for one. And it has ties to one of the shows that helped shape my mental landscape... A partial list in Wikipedia:
- In Star Trek: Generations, Scotty manages to beam up 47 El-Aurians before their ship is destroyed by the energy ribbon.
- In the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode “Darmok”, the computer of the Enterprise reports to have found 47 occurrences of the word "Darmok" in its database.
- In the Star Trek: Voyager episode “Parallax”, the Emergency Medical Holographic Channel is 47 and that the EMH has the experience of 47 individual medical officers.
- In the Star Trek: Voyager episode “Before And After”, the phase shift is 1.47.
- In the 2009 film Star Trek, the Enterprise was built in Sector 47 of the Riverside Shipyards, and 47 Klingon ships are said to have been destroyed by Nero’s ship, the Narada.
And today, it’s the number of times this little planet has circled around the sun while I’ve been on it.
The Star Trek Connection
The 47 conspiracy