03 February 2003

Challenger and Columbia


The radio has just reminded me that the Challenger disaster was seventeen years ago. Time flies...


The Challenger disaster was very affecting for me. At the time, I was working on The Meliorist, the University of Lethbridge student newspaper, and I went home at lunch and drew probably the best cartoon I ever did there.


Today, what makes me sad is that I'm not as stunned or sad for the Columbia crew as I was for the Challenger crew. I'm not sure why. Maybe it seems less shocking because "it's happened before." The images of cloud trails in the sky seem so similar to those of seventeen years ago.


It's a sad time. I simply hope that people don't forget that there are still people in orbit at the International Space Station who need to come home.

No comments: