12 January 2009

How many species have you worked on?

To my fellow biologists: How long is the list of species you have published new data on, in peer reviewed research articles?

Being at the SICB meeting reminded me of something I've been meaning to put up for a while. I take a certain amount of pride in not being someone who has studied a single thing. There are a lot of people who spend their entire careers working on, say, yeast. Good for them.

I, on the other hand, have scientific attention deficit disorder. I am the proverbial mile wide and an inch deep.

I thought it would be fun to list all the species I've published new, original data on (taxonomic surveys don't count). In no particular order...

  1. Spiny sand crabs, Blepharipoda occidentalis (Paper)
  2. Pearly sand crabs, Lepidopa californica (Paper; pictured, right)
  3. Mole crabs, Emerita analoga (Paper; pictured, left)
  4. Squat lobster, Munida quadrispina (Paper)
  5. Signal crayfish, Pacifastacus leniusculus (Paper)
  6. Yabby, Cherax destructor (Paper)
  7. Spiny lobster, Panulirus argus (Paper)
  8. Balmain bugs, Ibacus peronii (Paper)
  9. Slipper lobsters, Ibacus alticrenatus (Paper)
  10. Spanner crab, Ranina ranina (Paper)
  11. Cricket, Teleogryllus oceanicus (Paper)
  12. Sea squirt, Ascidia interrupta (Paper)


I am hoping that by the end of the year, the number of in the list will go up by 2 to 4 species.

What does your species list look like? I'd like to find the most comparative biologist working out there...

No comments: