09 August 2013

Immortality... sort of

I appear on the Science... Sort Of podcast, episode #178, “Wetter is Better.” I (mostly) talk about the “lobsters are immortal” meme.

I had a ton of fun doing this podcast. I hope everyone who listens has as much fun hearing it as I did recording it.

At one point in the podcast, I mention that even bacteria might age. The paper I was trying to remember was this one: “Aging and death in an organism that reproduces by morphologically symmetric division” in PLOS Biology.

I also mentioned that crustaceans don’t get cancer. That’s based on this paper: “How to minimize formation and growth of tumours: Potential benefits of decapod crustaceans for cancer research” in International Journal of Cancer.

You can support the podcast, and your scholar, by buying the Kindle edition of Presentation Tips through this link.

Related posts

All lobsters are mortal

External links

Episode 178 - Wetter is Better

References

Ackermann M, Stearns SC, Jenal U. 2003. Senescence in a bacterium with asymmetric division. Science 300(5627): 1920. DOI: 10.1126/science.1083532

Stewart EJ, Madden R, Paul G, Taddei F. 2005. Aging and death in an organism that reproduces by morphologically symmetric division. PLoS Biol 3(2): e45. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0030045

Vogt G. 2008. How to minimize formation and growth of tumours: Potential benefits of decapod crustaceans for cancer research. International Journal of Cancer 123(12): 2727-2734. DOI: 10.1002/ijc.23947

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thought I'd let you know Dr. Zen: the first link to the podcast is broken. The second link under "External links", however, is working. Looking forward to listening to it!