18 July 2014

Where are they now? (Veterinary edition)

Back in 2006, I wrote:

In another one of those still-not-quite-sure-how-this happened events of the summer, I spent this afternoon meeting with various people about a summer internship program with high school students. I’ll have a student, Amanda, working with me for six weeks starting next Monday. Not quite sure what I'll have her do yet. Will have to spend some time sorting out project ideas next week.

What happened after that? I came up with a project, Amanda rocked it for six weeks, got data way more interesting than I expected, and we published a paper from it (Flores and Faulkes 2008). It was very cool to have a paper with a co-author who was in high school at the time.

Amanda went off and did one degree at Texas A & M University. She told me that having a publication from her internship was helpful, because it always gave her something that set her apart from the crowd. She stayed at A&M for another degree, and today posted this:


From ascidian intern to practicing vet! Sniff. They grow up so fast... Anyone in the region who needs animal care, please visit Dr. Flores, and tell them Zen sent you.

Related posts

In turn...
Best of times, worst of times, best of times
Personal review of 2008

Reference

Flores AR, Faulkes Z. 2008. Texture preferences of ascidian tadpole larvae during settlement. Marine and Freshwater Behaviour and Physiology 41(3): 155-159. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10236240802360914

No comments: