10 February 2004

"You have got to be kidding me..."

"...another candidate didn't come in on the plane last night?" No joke. I come in, expecting our thrid job candidate to be at uni, and instead open an email from his SO saying that his flight out of his city of origin was delayed and he was stuck in Dallas last night. He's scheduled to arrive at 11:58 am. This is rather inconvenient, since he was slated to give his job seminar two minutes later. I somehow doubt that we could get him from the airport to the UTPA Science building in two minutes.

To paraphrase Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge, we are improvising, adapting, and (hopefully) will overcome. Rescheduled the seminar (though I worry about how many faculty will be there). Will see what we can do about everything else.

With two out of three candidates arriving late, I am seriously not liking these odds for dealing with the remaining five job interviews. I don't really want to have to go through this grief two or three more times this month.

;;;;;

Additional: It's now 2:15 pm. We had rescheduled the candidate's seminar for 2:30 pm. There has been no sign of him on campus, nor word from the faculty member who was supposed to pick him up from the airport. If he doesn't make it here PDQ, I don't know what we'll do. Probably have to invite him back for another visit, I reckon.

I should be freaking out, but that would take energy, and I already used up that before lunch.

;;;;;

Even more additional: To my great relief, our candidate actually showed up in time for his seminar. Whew! The poor guy, though, got about the shortest on-site interview ever. I think both he and we will be hoping that there aren't bad impressions resulting from short interview, which were nobody's fault.





No comments: