13 October 2010

It’s National Fossil Day!

It’s National Fossil Day here in the United States! What a wonderful idea!

How many people have been inspired to pursue science in part because of fossils? For some, seeing those massive skeletons of prehistoric beasts in museums. For others, it might have been finding fossil shells out in their backyard.

In honor of this, I’d like to share a fossil I keep handy...


My parents gave me this after mentioning on this blog I wanted a fossil I could carry around in case of emergency.

My trilobite taxonomy is a little weak, so I can’t tell you anything about the species. If anyone can say anything more specific about it, I’d love to hear from you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From scuttling across the floors of silent seas, to your keychain. I don't know the taxonomy, either.

Lucas Brouwers said...

And for others, it was both! I have fond memories of searching fossilized shark teeth as kid on the beaches of Cadzand and seeing the majestic fossils of tyrannosaurs and sauropods in the Royal museum of Brussels!